Finished reading “Who” this week. I found it an interesting approach to hiring. I’d read it if I were looking for a job as well to prepare for interviews, though it’s not designed for that.
- Take hiring seriously, this should be obvious but it’s easy to let it get lost in all the other work.
- Manage the task of hiring as your would any other project with a clearly defined role, and process in advance.
- Don’t hesitate to walk through every aspect of their career with them, ask about anything ambiguous. Everyone has things they sweep under the carpet, so it’s important to understand this when you are evaluating a candidate, but you also want to make sure you don’t miss things you need to know first.
Things I would change:
- I found the tone of the book somewhat annoying. It talks itself up a lot. It backs up its self-promotion, but there could have been a better way to do it.
- This makes the process even more intimidating, something that’s already difficult to do.